Summary/Contribution of Position:
The Accessioning Laboratory Technician collaborates with the Principal Investigator to perform scientific experiments in support of services in the field of Epigenetics, Aging, or Microbiomics. They will also perform all paperwork and non-technical procedures required to prepare, process, and submit specimens to the laboratory for testing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Receive and prepare laboratory specimens for analysis and testing
- Move specimens to their respective staging areas and accurately identify and label them
- Resolve and document any problem specimens
- Coordinate with customers for sample submission process
- Assist Principal Investigator in experimental design and customer sample processing
- Conduct complex, high level scientific experiments according to SOPs
- Optimization of experimental procedures
- Read scientific literature pertaining to project
- Maintain laboratory notebook as an up-to-date detailed log of experiments and ongoing research efforts
- Laboratory maintenance
- Technical support for incoming customer inquires
- Light manufacturing duties may include assembly of buffers and kits
- This position requires:
- A BS in Biology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, Biochemistry or related field with a minimum of two years of laboratory experience
- Experience performing molecular and cell biology techniques including PCR, qPCR, cloning, restriction digests, gel electrophoresis, DNA and RNA purification etc
- A solid understanding of primer design
- Experience using programs such as BLAST and UCSC Genome Browser preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Experience medical records, claims or billing areas is an asset
Education and Experience
- High school diploma
- Bachelor’s degree (Supply Chain Management, Finance, Business Administration, Accounting, Biology, Life Sciences) preferred.
- Experience in bookkeeping, accounting.
- Experience in purchasing, supply chain, procurement.
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required.
- knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Scientific knowledge
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Team Player
- Communication skills - verbal and written
- Organizational skills
- Listening skills
- Stress tolerance
- Ongoing scientific reading habits
- Problem analysis and problem-solving
- Customer service orientation
- Strong data entry experience