Position Title: Bioinformatics Associate
Location: 17062 Murphy Ave, Irvine, CA
Summary/Contribution of Position:
Bioinformatics Associates run production pipelines on NGS data and collaborate in the development of data-analysis pipelines and reports for genome-wide Next-Generation Sequencing analysis methods. This position will have a particular emphasis on building, running, and maintaining at-scale production analysis pipelines in cloud environments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Bioinformatics Team and Services Team to program, test, and run production bioinformatics pipelines.
- Coordinate with R&D and services personnel in the analysis and processing of Next-Generation Sequencing data.
- Perform analytics on production pipelines to quantify failure rates, throughput, bottlenecks, costs, etc and make recommendations for optimization.
- Commitment to excellence in clear communication/visualization of results, reproducibility of analysis, and software development best practices.
- A BS or MS degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Computational Biology, Statistics, or a related discipline.
- Prior experience using bioinformatics in an academic and/or industry environment to produce publication-quality results.
- Competent developer with Linux command line ability.
- Required: Ability to program competently in Python and R. Ability to script the execution of applications in a Linux command-line environment. Excellent data visualization and statistical skills. Strong command of genetics and genomics for biological interpretation of bioinformatics results.
- Preferred: Familiarity with pipeline workflow languages (such as NextFlow), Amazon Web Services (AWS), and git. Experience analyzing Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data, particularly for epigenomics and DNA methylation.