Principal Scientist - Nucleic Acid (DNA/RNA)
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join our DNA Purification Department. The candidate will work in close collaboration with different research groups and scientists, as well as with Zymo leadership to develop (from concept to commercialization) world-class DNA Purification technologies.
The ideal candidate for this position is able to identify key needs in the DNA Purification field, have clear ideas on how to address those needs through the conceptualization and execution of scientific projects, and the development of innovative technologies, and is able to propose commercial strategies to deliver new products to the target customers. The ideal candidate is also able to work in a multidisciplinary team, contribute to discussions and meetings with original ideas, and to communicate effectively with the rest of the team and the upper management. The ideal candidate has deep scientific knowledge (especially in the field of chemistry, biochemistry, and genomics), excellent technical skills, and managerial experience.
As a leader at Zymo Research you will have the opportunity to lead and work with talented multidisciplinary teams of scientists and researchers to develop technologies that will affect and shape the biomedical industry. You will be deeply involved in the innovation, development, and commercialization of DNA Purification technologies for research and clinical applications. As a Group Leader, you will contribute to Zymo’s strategic planning and continuously be encouraged to explore new ideas to innovate this highly competitive field. Zymo Research offers tremendous room for professional growth for highly motivated, skilled, and enthusiastic individuals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conceptualize, rationalize, and assess overall feasibility of R&D projects.
- Take charge of the execution of major research projects.
- Provide adequate information for the initial review of the projects/studies (e.g., project draft and rationale, customer needs, resources needed to execute the project, market analysis).
- Securing CSO approval prior to initiating projects/studies and prior applying significant changes to the projects/studies strategy as approved.
- Being able to work in a team as well as independently.
- Effectively communicate with the rest of the team, with the upper managements, and with different departments (e.g. with Manufacturing, Marketing, Customer Service, etc..).
- Plan, assign, and direct the work of Scientists, Research Associates, and Interns.
- Maintain project documents as required by the company policy and regulations.
- Contribute to the conceptualization of commercial strategies of existing and newly developed DNA Purification products.
Education and Experience:
- Strong scientific background, particularly in the field of chemistry, biochemistry, genomics, molecular biology, and engineering applied to biological sciences.
- Requires a Ph.D. degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Bioengineering, or related field.
- Requires at least two first author scientific publications and two second or third author publications.
- Demonstrates well-developed written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to establish highly functional relationships with diverse personalities, both within and outside the company. Open, customer-focused style of communication.
- Prior industrial experience preferred.
Since its inception in 1994, Zymo Research has been proudly serving the scientific community by providing innovative, reliable, and high-quality research tools and products. Whether it's DNA, RNA, epigenetics, microbiomics, protein, or yeast-based research, our philosophy remains the same: To provide the highest quality products in the industry while ensuring they are both simple to use and reliable in their performance.
Recognized as a Top Workplace by the Orange County Register in 2021, 2022, and named a Top Workplace USA in 2023, Zymo Research continues to be a vibrant community where employees thrive, feel connected, and are inspired by their work. If you are passionate about contributing to scientific advancement and want to be part of an exceptional team in a dynamic, growing company, we'd love to hear from you!
The estimated annual salary for this position is $100,000 - $180,000 at the time of posting. Actual compensation will be provided in writing at the time of offer, if applicable, and is based on several factors we believe fairly and accurately impact compensation, including geographic location, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and other job permitted factors.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer:
Zymo Research welcomes candidates of all backgrounds. These include sex, age, color, race, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical & mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
Onsite - Zymo Research HQ - 17062 Murphy Ave. Irvine, CA 92614