We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join our Assay Development – Oncology Team. The candidate will work in close collaboration with different research groups and scientists, as well as with Zymo upper management to develop (from concept to commercialization) new technologies and assays to deploy in the clinical, and diagnostics, and research fields. The candidate will also be involved in the management of Research Associates and Interns.
The ideal candidate for this position is able to conceptualize, design, and execute scientific projects, is highly motivated and proactive, and can work independently, as well as in a team. The ideal candidate is also able to work in a multidisciplinary team, contribute to discussions and meetings with original ideas, and to communicate effectively with the rest of the team and the upper management. The ideal candidate has deep scientific knowledge (especially in the field of molecular biology, epigenetics, oncology), excellent technical and communicational skills, managerial experience, and, ideally, knowledge in statistics and bioinformatic analyses.
As a Scientist at Zymo Research you will have the opportunity to work with talented multidisciplinary teams of scientists and researchers to develop technologies that will affect and shape the biomedical industry. You will be deeply involved in the innovation, development, and commercialization of technologies for research and clinical/diagnostics applications. As a Scientist, you will continuously be encouraged to explore new ideas to innovate this highly competitive field. Zymo Research offers tremendous room for professional growth for highly motivated, skilled, and enthusiastic individuals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Take charge of the execution of research projects.
- Contribute original ideas and initiatives to discussions and meetings.
- Being able to work in a team as well as independently.
- Effectively communicate with the rest of the team, with the upper managements, and with different departments (e.g. with Manufacturing, Marketing, Customer Service, etc..).
- Plan, assign, and direct the work of Research Associates and Interns.
- Review and write scientific publications and informational documents and make formal presentations to conferences and meetings.
- Maintain complete handwritten reports (lab notebooks) on all phases of the experimental work involved in research projects adhering to the Zymo Research Notebook Policy.
- Contribute to the organization of beta-test for newly developed products.
- Contribute to the writing of the packaging instructions (protocols).
- Collaborate with the Marketing Team and other Departments for the generation of marketing collateral, website content, and packaging design.
- Collaborate with the Manufacturing Department for the transfer of necessary technical information.
Education and Experience:
- Strong scientific background, particularly in the field of molecular biology, epigenetics, genomics, transcriptomics, clinical diagnostics, cancer biology, data analysis (including NGS data analysis).
- Requires a Ph.D. degree in Molecular Biology, Epigenetics, Genetics, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, or related field.
- Requires at least two first author scientific publications and two second or third author publications.
- Demonstrates well-developed written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to establish highly functional relationships with diverse personalities, both within and outside the company. Open, customer-focused style of communication.
- Prior industrial experience not necessary but considered.
Since its inception in 1994, Zymo Research has been proudly serving the scientific community by providing innovative, reliable, and high-quality research tools and products. Whether it's DNA, RNA, epigenetics, microbiomics, protein, or yeast-based research, our philosophy remains the same: To provide the highest quality products in the industry while ensuring they are both simple to use and reliable in their performance.
Recognized as a Top Workplace by the Orange County Register in 2021, 2022, and named a Top Workplace USA in 2023, Zymo Research continues to be a vibrant community where employees thrive, feel connected, and are inspired by their work. If you are passionate about contributing to scientific advancement and want to be part of an exceptional team in a dynamic, growing company, we'd love to hear from you!
The estimated hourly range for this position is $80,000 - $90,000 at the time of posting. Actual compensation will be provided in writing at the time of offer, if applicable, and is based on several factors we believe fairly and accurately impact compensation, including geographic location, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and other job permitted factors.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer:
Zymo Research welcomes candidates of all backgrounds. These include sex, age, color, race, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical & mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
Onsite - Zymo Research HQ - 17062 Murphy Ave. Irvine, CA 92614